These events will be held at the Georgia Tech Hotel & Conference Center. We have been informed that there are no longer rooms available at the Conference Center. As an alternative, we recommend the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel which is a 4 minute walk from the venue.
The full travel reimbursement policy can be found below, but please note the variations below in which you can expect reimbursement depending on your track. Checked boxes indicate what you will be potentially reimbursed for based on your travel dates. Blank spaces are either not covered in the scope of the meeting, or covered by meals provided during the meeting.
CISE PI MEETING AND ASPIRING PI SUMMIT TRAVEL POLICY
This section explains policies regarding travel expense reimbursement for attendees at the 2023 CISE PI Meeting. Reimbursements will be handled through SageFox Consulting Group.
- For reimbursement, NSF requires that travel — including meals, housing, and transportation — be conducted by the most economical method.
- Shared expenses must be explained in a separate document. Any deviations from these policies must be pre-approved.
- Reimbursements will be provided only for invited or pre-approved attendees.
- If travel to the 2023 CISE PI Meeting is combined with other professional or personal activities, only the portion directly related to the CISE PI Meeting may be claimed for reimbursement. If the extension results in increased airfare, NSF will not reimburse the additional amount.
- IMPORTANT: For combined travel, a screenshot of a comparable round-trip economy itinerary from the participant’s home base to the event site for the event time period must be generated at the time of booking and provided as part of the reimbursement request.
- Example 1: Home Base (A) to Event (B) with plans to continue Personal Travel (C). Reimbursement will be from A to B, so obtain comparable round-trip cost of flight from A to B.
- Example 2: Personal Travel (C) to Event (B) with return to Home Base (A) or back to (C). Reimbursement will be based on round-trip cost A to B.
- Travel insurance costs will be reimbursed up to 6% of the non-refundable expenses and not exceeding $100.
- In the event of a canceled trip, nothing else but 6% of the non-refundable ticket cost and not exceeding $100 will be refunded. All other incurred expenses not covered by insurance will not be reimbursed.
- Insurance claims are the sole responsibility of the traveler.
- In the event travel vouchers are awarded to the traveler, they are to be considered currency. Tickets covered by travel vouchers will not be reimbursed.
- If any reimbursement is being requested with a cancellation, all supporting documentation is required.
- NSF will reimburse non-refundable economy class fare.
- Additional expenses incurred – such as baggage fees*, inflight wi-fi, inflight meals, or seat upgrades – are not reimbursed unless approved in advance. *Different airlines have different rules in regard to baggage. For most events, a carry-on bag is considered sufficient and will be reimbursed should the airline charge for a carry-on.
- Flights purchased with frequent flier miles or rewards programs will NOT be reimbursed.
- NSF follows the Fly America Act (49 U.S.C. 40118), and all air travel is required to be through a “U.S. flag” air carrier service. You can find a complete list of certified U.S. flag air carriers here: U.S. flag air carriers. There are some exceptions to the Fly America Act:
- When a U.S. air carrier is not available.
- When using a U.S. carrier service would extend the travel time by 24 hours or more.
- When a U.S. carrier does not offer a nonstop or direct flight between origin and destination, and using a U.S. carrier:
- Increases the number of aircraft changes outside the United States by two or more;
- Extends travel time by six hours or more; or
- Requires a connecting time of four hours or more at an overseas interchange point.
- When there is an applicable Open Skies Agreement in effect that meets the requirements of the Fly America Act.
- Note: Ticket cost and convenience are NOT exceptions to the Fly America Act.
- Receipts are required for all transportation.
- The use of local public transportation is encouraged, including shared rides – shuttle/taxis/Ubers, trains and buses. Car services are generally not reimbursable and must be pre-approved.
- If auto is chosen for long distance travel, documentation on comparative costs such as airfare, public transportation (i.e. train,) car rental, and mileage for the same travel is required. Without prior approval, the lesser cost regardless of chosen method will be reimbursed.
- Mileage reimbursement for personal auto is at the federal mileage rate, which includes reimbursement for gas and other operating costs of the vehicle.
- Reimbursement requests must include a map (for example a Google Map) showing route and miles driven.
- Parking and tolls will be reimbursed with receipts.
- Receipts are required for all transportation.
- Refer to the reimbursement expectations chart for what meals you can expect to be reimbursed.
- SageFox requires an itemized receipt for meal costs. SageFox can only accept itemized receipts NOT a signed credit card slip or credit card statement.
- SageFox will not reimburse meals in lieu of the group meal, unless there are mitigating circumstances (late arrival, early departure, strict dietary need that has not been accommodated), and has been pre-approved.
- SageFox does NOT reimburse for alcohol.
- Meals will be reimbursed up to the per diem allotted* for that meal
- BREAKFAST: $17
- LUNCH: $18
- DINNER: $34
*Refer to the reimbursement expectations chart for what meals you can expect to be reimbursed.
- The negotiated rate for the 2023 CISE PI Meeting is $255.17 ($214 per night plus taxes and fees) at the at the Georgia Tech Conference Center
- 2 nights at the negotiated rate of $214 will be reimbursed for attendance at the 2023 CISE PI Meeting
- Receipts must be provided for reimbursement of lodging for the CISE PI Meeting. If sharing a room or some other unique arrangement is made (such as airbnb,) NSF requires a copy of the total receipt and an explanation of reimbursement requested.
- If a standard rate has been negotiated for the event, that rate must be used, unless there are plausible mitigating circumstances and the non standard rate is pre-approved. Without pre-approval, NSF will only reimburse up to the negotiated rate.
- Attendees who incur other expenses related to their participation in an NSF-sponsored event that are not listed here may be entitled to reimbursement with appropriate receipts, explanations and prior approval.
- Expenses that are never reimbursable include:
- Personal items
- Entertainment expenses
- Telephone or internet charges not related to participation in the event
- Alcohol, and associated tax and tip
If you have questions about travel reimbursements, registering for the meeting, or other meeting logistics, please contact: CISE2023@googlegroups.com